Shop on Amazon.com here:

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Doogie vs. Carrie

Sometimes as I write, I feel like a cross between Doogie Howser and Carrie Bradshaw. When the Doogie side starts to wax philosophical and talk about the intellectual side of things, Carrie steps in and wants to have fun, enjoy fashion and go to New York for goodness sake! I haven't been since I was a kid. Well, tonight's post is full of ME, that's right, ME! I have spent the last three years of my life in hospitals with my kids and tonight I am going to do what I have been meaning to do for a long time, look in the mirror!

Who am I? A Christian, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend and a friend. And well, aside from a few past mistakes, I think I'm a better person now than I have ever been. Though my kids have a lot to do with the changes in me, I have metamorphosed into a strong, but caring person. I have a few extra pounds (who doesn't?) but I've earned every pound! I enjoy my life and I don't take a single second for granted. Aside from all this, because I have spent so much time in, and will likely spend much more time in hospitals in the future due to Sophie's recent diagnosis, I thought I would take a moment and try to recall things that I like.
What do I like? My one true passion aside from God and my family is music. I love to sing, hear live music, or sing in the band. I usually have some new music playing in my ear or in my car. And, yes I DO sing to the radio! I enjoy live theatre and haven't been to a show in a long time, but I can't wait to go to one once the kids are both healthy. I like sports. College Football... A cold beer on a Sunday in front of a Texans game with family and friends. I like to create things, it's so rewarding to start and finish something, because I rarely get that kind of closure. I really enjoy cooking, sewing and home design. I'm not a "foodie" per se, but I enjoy a good home cooked meal that makes my family smile. I love, love, love live music and when I get the chance, I try to go to concerts. I also really like to read. I know it sounds boring, but even though I know people like their "Kindle" or their "Ibooks", I like the smell and feel of a good ole fashioned hard cover book. I like to look nice, but this doesn't mean I'm a "shopper". I spent over six years of my life working in the mall, so I'm not a shopper. I'm over it.

But all shallowness aside, as I sit here blogging... Half Doogie, Half Carrie, I am happy I'm me. Just me. Mom. Sister. Friend. Girlfriend. Just myself. No pretense, just perspective. When I hear people get so bogged down with their life and all of the little things that get them down, I just want to tell them what's really important. Savor each day, live for each moment... and take NOTHING for granted. Three months ago I had two healthy kids. And, though we have an extremely tough fight ahead of us, I have faith that we will get through this. Please please please take a moment tonight and hug your kids a little harder, tell your spouse or significant other that you love them and thank your God that you're here to live one more day.



Goodnight friends! j

1 comment:

  1. You and your little ones are inspiring! I am someone who has gone down the road of illness and I promise you and you children will be stronger at the end of your journey. I wish you all health and all the best. And I know it will come to you! How can it not with such a good attitude! Again I must give you applauds for your strength!

    ReplyDelete