Shop on Amazon.com here:

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A crowded room

Sophie is in having her MRI now. They are checking her thyroid and pituitary function for something called Diabetes Insipidous. DI is not Sugar Diabetes but is water diabetes and is a side effect of Histiocytosis. I pray she doesn't have it, but they're going to check. They are also checking her tumor to see if it is shrinking. I'm praying that is the case and nothing else is going on... As I sit, I am pondering...

I am a part of a new community of Histiocytosis and cancer parents I can't help but flash in my head the men, women and children we have seen on our many visits to the cancer center.

We have seen parents wrought with worry and concern, siblings bored out of their minds, but you can see their concern too. I walk by them, with their different electronic devices and I pray silently to myself that something would ease their pain.

As I sit in this crowded room, a mom sits with her eight year-old son peering over her shoulder at her iPad. Next to her sits a man who appears to have cried a lot today. His face is red, and he keeps getting up to pace the room.

Next to them, a father and his son sit with their Astros shirts on. They laugh and look over to the TV that's playing an old movie about a dog with a very solemn soundtrack. Further around the corner lay two brothers with their mom texting anxiously.

Then the doctor came out to report on their child's heart. This is the dad who looked like he was crying and the iPad mom and big brother. Now I know why they looked so sad. Mom has a stoic expression.... And tries to smile in spite of the news she just got. Inoperable isn't a good thing to hear. She tells her son that he can go stay with Grammy. He hugs her tight and just says, "I just want to be with you and Dad" and he starts to cry.

Every family has a story. Before you judge people for wearing the wrong thing, having hair that's a mess... or something else... Just please remember that they are probably going through something heavy too.

In this crowded room...

God bless dear ones,
J

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment